12 September 2012

High level fun

With the dealer on my left and vul against not I picked up:
♠ Q T
♥ A Q 6 4
♦ K 9 7 6 4
♣ K T

which is a 14 count. Before I'd managed to count to 14 though (I am quite slow) the auction had made its way round to me:

WestNorthEastSouth
5♣ 5♥ Pass ?

Questions, questions. How has partner bid at the five level with such poor trumps? Who opens 5♣ anyway?

Considerations, considerations. We must have most of the points in this deck. It would be nice to protect the ♣K for the admittedly unlikely chance of of 8221 clubs.

Decisions, decisions. I can always hold the club suit in NT. It's pairs and NT scores the best.

♠ A K 9 5
♥ K J 9 8 7 5
♦ A 8
♣ 7
♠ Q T
♥ A Q 6 4
♦ K 9 7 6 4
♣ K T

Also thinking in terms of matchpoints, West, led the ♣A and I claimed without playing a card. If that hadn't happened, how would you play?

1 comment:

  1. With no way to rectify the count for a squeeze, I don't see anything better than just trying a spade towards the T on the first round of the suit.

    ReplyDelete