18 December 2011

Just do what you're told

Here's the hand I held as East:

♠ 8 7 6 5 4 3
♥ 4
♦ 9 4 3 2
♣ 9 5

To prove that I can be disciplined I passed. First in chair, green against red and I passed. I know.

The next hand opened 1♦* and partner bid 1♠. Well well well!

Fourth chair called 2♥ but I didn't care much because I had the 4♠ card already warmed up. Back round to righty it went who ventured 5♦ which partner doubled.

NorthEastSouthWest
- Pass 1♦ 1♠
2♥ 4♠ Pass Pass
5♦ Pass Pass X
Pass ?

How good are you feeling about a pass?




It doesn't matter, just do what you're told! You bid correctly and if partner doesn't think they can make 11 tricks so be it. Silence that demon on your shoulder.

♠ A
♥ Q T 9 7 6
♦ J 8 6
♣ K 8 4 2
♠ K J T 9 2
♥ A K 3 2
♦ Q
♣ A J 3
♠ 8 7 6 5 4 3
♥ 4
♦ 9 4 3 2
♣ 9 5
♠ Q
♥ J 8 5
♦ A K T 7 5
♣ Q T 7 6


When all is revealed N/S have clearly overstretched on marginal hands. Quite an out pouring of IMPs but you weren't really considering pulling it were you?


* Either 5+♦ or 15+ bal (weak NT system).

2 comments:

  1. Pulling it? I would have bid 5S over 5D directly >_<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto... given they were bidding a minor, I might even have bid 5S straight away.

    ReplyDelete