20 July 2012

Needing an extra trick or two

Playing club bridge I pick up this possibility rich collection:

Q
5 3
A T 5 3
A K Q 8 6 4

Nice shape, good source of tricks, three suits controlled. Everything you could want for a strong club opening so that's what I did. The vagaries of our relay system aside the auction went like this:

SouthWestNorthEast
1 Pass blah X
blah 2 blah Pass
blah Pass blah Pass
blah Pass blah Pass
3NT Pass Pass Pass

Why 3NT? Well because my partner had shown a major two suiter. I'd like to say I knew exactly what his shape was but I was off by a card. As my hand is completely unknown* West led their suit advancing the ♣J.

J 9 5 2
A Q T 9 7 4
K 6 4
-
T 8 6 3
2
J 7 2
J T 9 5 3
A K 7 4
K J 8 6
Q 9 8
7 2
Q
5 3
A T 5 3
A K Q 8 6 4

It looks like we should have stopped several blahs ago and doubled 2♣.

Winning the first trick I wanted to keep up with those in hearts so hoping for an onside knave I played a heart to the ten. That didn't work and back came the seven of clubs. I covered delicately with the eight which West won and returned the three... round to my four.

The clubs are now up and East must find four discards, two spades and a heart are easy then a diamond gets the bump on the last club. West has the luxury of only making one discard and having four safe spades to choose from.

Safety was never Wests `thing' and away went the 2. The diamonds are now up and this is the position:

-
A Q 9 7
K 6
-
T 8 6 3
-
J 7
-
A K
K 6
Q 9
-
Q
5
A T 5 3
-

Cashing two diamonds ending in hand revealed the defensive error and when I won the next round East began to squirm. Unable to guard spades and hearts something had to give and I made the rest of the tricks.

When dummy came down there were six tricks and with no finesses working or suits breaking somehow I ended up with eleven!

*My hand is almost certainly centered on clubs and may have diamonds as well - why else would 3NT be right opposite 4630?


Extra for esotericists: What's the line to make 4 by North?

No comments:

Post a Comment