25 June 2012

Learning bridge feels hard (link)

Here's a post I stumbled across a while ago. It's about learning to write software (the other flavour of blog I frequent) but it applies at least as much to bridge.

Go have a read: You have to get good before you get better.

Paraphrasing:
I think people successfully learn how to play bridge when they treat their progress as an inevitability so long as they put in the work. They don’t track how well they’re doing, and they don’t think about it day to day. They concentrate on learning. On building a base of knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. Daniel,

    I think your point is quite interesting - when learning any new skill it is easy to get frustrated when you realize how much more there is to learn and start to worry about where you "should be" at some point on the learning curve. Focusing on your successes, however small, I think really helps. I'm just starting to learn bridge and will keep your advice in the back of my mind - thanks!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete