18 February 2011

When it does come up

If you have a hole in your system the most common way to deal with it is to discuss it. Everyone knows that discussing a situation is the best way to guarantee you won't see it at the table. Tongue in cheek? Sure.

About 10 days ago a friend of mine gave me this hand:

A x x x
-
K J x x x x
x x x
and asked what I would bid over an Acol 2 opening. Some thought later I bid 2 then pushed for slam when the auction continued 2NT - 3 - 3!. On Tuesday this week I played just 2 boards out of 26 against the same friend, on the second one I picked up.
K T x x
-
x x x
K J T x x x
and my partner opened 2. I twitched a little and glanced at her; discretely trying to determine whether I was being set up for something. If I thought 2 was right before it must be right now. The expected 2 came back and I followed with 3 hoping to get both suits in. No need for that however, partner snatched the reigns and propelled us into 6.
A
A K x x x
A Q x
A Q x x
K T x x
-
x x x
K J T x x x
Comfortable 13 tricks on a 2-1 club break. There are more situations in bridge than any of us could ever count or hope to see. It's interesting and amusing when you see the same rare situation twice in a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment