23 March 2012

The money or the slam

This exciting hand came up this week in a club session. I was North, playing teams, EW are vulnerable and I picked up this:

♠ A J 6 5 3
♥ A K Q 3
♦ -
♣ K 8 7 4

A nice hand no doubt and further improved when partner opens a strong club. I respond 1♥ showing a positive with 4+ spades and LHO bids 2♠! Doubled back to me:

SouthWestNorthEast
1♣ Pass 1♥ 2♠
X Pass ?

I hate these decisions, you have no idea whether the player knows he's bid your suit. At first it looks clear to pass but if East has ♠KQTxxxx they may come to 6 tricks. Down two is a poor result compared to a round suit slam even at these colours.

SouthWestNorthEast
1♣ Pass 1♥ 2♠
X Pass 3♥ Pass
3NT Pass 4♣ Pass
5♣ Pass ?

Showing suits I finally locate our fit. Do I have a raise to 6? Given partners bidding he figures to be 1345 or 1354 with 15+ highs. Correct or not I raised and then sent back the double.

SouthWestNorthEast
1♣ Pass 1♥ 2♠
X Pass 3♥ Pass
3NT Pass 4♣ Pass
5♣ Pass 6♣ Pass
Pass X XX End

The redouble is routine, if our opponents reach 6♣ undoubled it costs just 2 imps if we're down one and gains 5 if we make. How do you proceed on the ♠9 lead?
♠ A J 6 5 3
♥ A K Q 3
♦ -
♣ K 8 7 4
♠ K
♥ 7 6 2
♦ A Q T 5 2
♣ A Q T 9

No comments:

Post a Comment