20 April 2011

Sure I have a stop

Bidding NT without a stop always holds an amount of risk. How much risk depends on the auction. 1NT - 3NT not much risk. When they've overcalled lots of risk. Risk isn't a bad thing outright, balanced risk is the key.

But what is a stop anyway?
K
A Q 9 6
K J 8 6 5 4
T 9
I started out with a 1 call which drew a 1 overcall. When partner bid 2 showing a balanced force and asking for a stop I couldn't resist. Sure they might lead the Ace but in the real world I have a stop. Partner might even put down a Jack third and then we have a real stop. Unfortunately for me West didn't do what they were supposed to. Instead of casting out a small spade as convention might dictate they cashed the K:
7 6 3 2
K 8 4
A Q T 3
Q J
A J 9 8 5
J 5 2
-
A K 6 3 2
Q T 4
T 7 3
9 7 2
8 7 5 4
K
A Q 9 6
K J 8 6 5 4
T 9
Between Easts 4 and my 9 West thought it correct to continue. The hand fell to pieces a bit here and all told I tallied only 3 tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment