23 March 2012

The money or the slam

This exciting hand came up this week in a club session. I was North, playing teams, EW are vulnerable and I picked up this:

A J 6 5 3
A K Q 3
-
K 8 7 4

A nice hand no doubt and further improved when partner opens a strong club. I respond 1 showing a positive with 4+ spades and LHO bids 2! Doubled back to me:

SouthWestNorthEast
1 Pass 1 2
X Pass ?

I hate these decisions, you have no idea whether the player knows he's bid your suit. At first it looks clear to pass but if East has KQTxxxx they may come to 6 tricks. Down two is a poor result compared to a round suit slam even at these colours.

SouthWestNorthEast
1 Pass 1 2
X Pass 3 Pass
3NT Pass 4 Pass
5 Pass ?

Showing suits I finally locate our fit. Do I have a raise to 6? Given partners bidding he figures to be 1345 or 1354 with 15+ highs. Correct or not I raised and then sent back the double.

SouthWestNorthEast
1 Pass 1 2
X Pass 3 Pass
3NT Pass 4 Pass
5 Pass 6 Pass
Pass X XX End

The redouble is routine, if our opponents reach 6 undoubled it costs just 2 imps if we're down one and gains 5 if we make. How do you proceed on the 9 lead?
A J 6 5 3
A K Q 3
-
K 8 7 4
K
7 6 2
A Q T 5 2
A Q T 9

No comments:

Post a Comment