19 January 2011

Calling for the fair police

You know what I mean. When you make a bid or play that's almost certainly correct only to discover the uncomfortable difference between "almost certainly" and "certainly". For example say you pick up this:

A 9 3
A K Q
J 4 3
A K J 5
Even by taking off your shoes and socks you can't count them all but after calling for an abacus you come to 22 high card points. But wait, it's not your turn. Your partner over there is doing complex sums on a piece of tree bark. Some time later, satisfied with his scratchings, he opens a strong 1NT.

Back to the abacus you go and a clattering of beads later you decide this means you have between 37 and 39 highs combined. A quick walk to the library to find your well worn encyclopaedia confirms that the requirements for a small slam are 33 highs and for a grand slam 37 highs. Content in the rigour of your process you lay down all the bidding cards with a lovely thump; 7NT.

K 6 5 4 2 
J 3 2
A K Q
Q 6
  
A 9 3
A K Q
J 4 3
A K J 5
Disappointing? Definitely. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone claim down one in a grand on the lead.

4 comments:

  1. I think I'd go to whoever sold me my entry and ask for a refund.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HBJ:
    Believe you me I've been in plenty of games and slams where on any decent fit with partner, contracts are made with overtricks to spare. The curse of the is hand is SYMMETRY where dummy has length in suits which match your own. Switch the two of hearts for the two of diamonds and 13 tricks are rigid ( 4C,4D, 3H and 2S ). Over here we call it murphy's law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of weeks ago I was admiring Qx/KJ/AQT/AQJ98x and waiting to open 2NT in 4th seat when I looked down at the bidding pad to see it had gone pass-2NT-pass-

    After checking a few more times that auction was still there so I made the same first bid as you.

    Cheeky little fella had upgraded a nice 18 but we still had 17 top tricks :)

    http://otagobridgeclub.org.nz/individualX.php?e=Casual Holiday Bridge 2010&d=5-13-2010E.xml&y=2010&hr=0513A&s=Holiday
    Board 8

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad. But,if you want to count lone Js .... and I don't see any tens, and minus 1 pt for 4333 distribution.

    ReplyDelete