17 February 2012

Close your eyes and double

Last night I played the Thursday evening session at my club. The Thursday pairs is to serious bridge what backyard cricket is to Olympic swimming; entirely unrelated.

-
A K 3
K T 9 8 5 2
9 8 6 2


Right hand opens a spade and I call my diamonds. Lefty bids 3 showing some sort of spade raise.

Opener asks for key cards and finding none bids 6.

Surely this is going down. The AK figure to cash and if not a poor trump break and no easy route to tricks in the red suits will see declarer fall short.

And it's Thursday so if this makes we're getting 20%. Double.

Q T 6 3
Q 9 6 4 2
Q
K J 3
-
A K 3
K T 9 8 5 2
9 8 6 2
7 5
J T 8 7 5
7 6 3
Q T 5
A K J 9 8 4 2
-
A J 4
A 7 2


You can make up your own humorous anecdote about what South might have done had North reported a keycard. Or about employing keycard while looking at first round control of every suit. 0%

It didn't all go bad though:
9 6
A K Q J 4
J T 3 2
A Q


WestNorthEastSouth
Pass Pass 1 ?

Any thoughts?

1NT is my choice. Partner enquired about my major holdings so I lied and said I didn't have any and we played 3NT. Dummy appeared with:

K J 8 5
5 3 2
Q 7 6
J 5 2


Not only does 4 fail by two tricks when the opponents can't help but get diamond ruffs but 3NT is plain sailing. 100%




3 comments:

  1. HBJ : What I like about your blogs is your simple but beautiful narrative ( and layout), which make them so readable and enjoyable.
    As for my bid to the last hand, I'm looking to play in NTs if partner can cover spades.....and so I'm sticking in a double. On hearing 1S I'm punting 3NT with a little prayer of a little help in clubs/diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bidding nt (second deal) is always a good thing in pairs :) still, it is a bit of a gamble as 4h can be cold with 3nt requiring hard work. With my partner i have agreed that such gambles are a good idea, but cost a round of beer if they fail!

    ReplyDelete