03 November 2011

The power of 9xx

Lets play a little game. I'll start describing a hand and you tell me when you work out why 9xx is critical. Here's the full deal:

♠ Q 9 2
♥ J
♦ Q 7 2
♣ A K 8 7 5 4
♠ K T 6 4
♥ 7 4 3 2
♦ J T
♣ Q J 3
♠ A J
♥ A Q T 8 6
♦ 8 4 3
♣ 9 x x
♠ 8 7 6 3
♥ K 9 5
♦ A K 9 6 5
♣ T

I opened a marginal 1♦ as South to which partner responded 2♣, GF. Ouch.

I have to rebid 2♦ and on hearing 3♣ I turn green and bid 3NT hoping partner holds 15 highs. Not this time.

Seen it yet?

West led the ♠6 (3rds & 5ths), East won the Jack and cashed the Ace.

Three to the nine, what could it possibly be good for?

East thought for some time before cashing the ♥A. Thinking some more he persisted with the ♥Q.

I'm sure I had a hand with nine third in all four suits once.

Not feeling under any pressure to start winning tricks I ducked the ♥Q and prayed that East would continue.

Would a switch to 9xx be better?

East did continue so pitching a club off the table I ran the diamond suit.

Here's the position with two diamonds to go:

♠ Q
♥ -
♦ -
♣ A K 8 7
♠ K T
♥ -
♦ -
♣ Q J 3
♠ -
♥ T 8
♦ -
♣9 x x
♠ 8 7
♥ -
♦ 9 6
♣ T

On the penultimate diamond East failed to recognise the quality inherent in his club holding and let go the smallest. Sadly for West that meant that the very next diamond effected a spade/club squeeze and I had my nine tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment