23 July 2011

The 10 - 3

Most of the way through the first session of the NZ pairs final I picked up this hand:
♠A
♥A K J 8 6
♦A K T 5
♣J 8 4

Nice cards. I opened a heart because I don't really like using a game force and LHO jumps to 4♠. This is passed back to me and I double, partner pulls to 5♥ which is nice but LHO competes to 5♠! Double again, who knows what's going on.
♠-
♥Q T 5
♦Q 8 7 6 4 3
♣A 9 7 6
♠8 4
♥9 7 4 3 2
♦J 9 2
♣K 5 2
♠A
♥A K J 8 6
♦A K T 5
♣J 8 4
♠K Q J T 9 7 6 5 3
♥-
♦-
♣Q T 3

Unlucky. On the club guess 5♠ rolls in. To achieve the par result you must sacrifice at the 6 level holding 20 hcp. Pity those who led a small club from West; they didn't get more than the trump Ace.

2 comments:

  1. No club guess required at our table. After a heart lead, ruffed, spade to the ace and a diamond return ruffed, declarer played all trumps bar one to reach -, Q, Q, A9 opposite x, -, -, QTx. I had to come down to -, A, A, Jx. Fortunately she was in six!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely played. I guess our declarer counted me for 19 points in spades, hearts and diamonds and didn't believe I'd have another 3 in clubs.

    ReplyDelete