20 April 2011

Sure I have a stop

Bidding NT without a stop always holds an amount of risk. How much risk depends on the auction. 1NT - 3NT not much risk. When they've overcalled lots of risk. Risk isn't a bad thing outright, balanced risk is the key.

But what is a stop anyway?
♠K
♥A Q 9 6
♦K J 8 6 5 4
♣T 9
I started out with a 1♦ call which drew a 1♠ overcall. When partner bid 2♠ showing a balanced force and asking for a stop I couldn't resist. Sure they might lead the Ace but in the real world I have a stop. Partner might even put down a Jack third and then we have a real stop. Unfortunately for me West didn't do what they were supposed to. Instead of casting out a small spade as convention might dictate they cashed the K♣:
♠7 6 3 2
♥K 8 4
♦A Q T 3
♣Q J
♠A J 9 8 5
♥J 5 2
♦-
♣A K 6 3 2
♠Q T 4
♥T 7 3
♦9 7 2
♣8 7 5 4
♠K
♥A Q 9 6
♦K J 8 6 5 4
♣T 9
Between Easts 4♣ and my 9♣ West thought it correct to continue. The hand fell to pieces a bit here and all told I tallied only 3 tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment